Sunday, June 28, 2009

WTF Hollywood?

So I'm gonna go ahead and state the obvious: this summer movie season sucks. I'm not saying that there aren't some good films out there, but this is the time of year where I'm supposed to be able to put away my brain and just enjoy some random cool shit. Instead, I have a franchise ruined for me and Shia. Again.

At the moment, there's still a few large films to look forward to: Public Enemies, Bruno, Harry Potter 6, Funny People, Julie and Julia, and The Time Traveler's Wife. Considering how things are going, I'm gonna assume that half of them will fail me . Luckily, there's always some smaller-release films that I can depend on, even if it means I have to pay attention to plot. My list of small films that will save the season:

The Brothers Bloom - I cannot recommend this movie enough. My favorite film of the year (so far).





The Hurt Locker - Best war film I've seen since the whole fad started 2 years ago. Amazing performances and real explosions. Just... wow.



Away We Go - If you know me, you know that I don't plan on having kids. This movie made me want kids. I don't know what else to say other than Maya Rudolph is not only a great comedian, but a damn fine actress.



500 Days of Summer - Pretty great breakup movie. Also, ballsy use of Hall & Oates.



Moon - Best sci-fi option at the moment. Sam Rockwell just gets better and better.



Thirst - A priest turns into a vampire. Falls in love. Things get weird. In Korea!



Paper Heart - A lot of the Apatow crowd. I'm hopeful.



The Goods - One name: David Koechner. Oh, and Jeremey Piven I guess...



It Might Get Loud - Jimmy Page, Jack White, and The Edge talking about being awesome.



Taking Woodstock - Liev Schreiber in drag.



District 9 - I think people don't know what to expect from this, being a mix of sci-fi and political commentary, but judging from the director's original short film, it looks like win.

2 comments:

Brett said...

Amen to that! It's gotten so bad out there that I started watching Hal Hartley movies online at Netflix. You know something is fucked when that happens.

By the way, have you seen "Bright Star" yet? Should I bother?

thatguy542 said...

Haven't seen it, I think it'll come out this fall in the US, but I've heard great things. This year should be good for the indie. I really recommend The Brothers Bloom, I think you'll love it.

This year is all about Avatar though. We know that.