Monday, July 27, 2009

Favorite Moments in Film

I love Judd Apatow. I think the man is a fucking genius. He was a brilliant writer on The Larry Sanders Show, man created Freaks & Geeks and Undeclared, and he's completely raised the bar for comedy over the past 5 years. That said, I really hope people are starting to realize that not everything Apatow touches is, in fact, the funniest shit ever made. For every two hits, there's at least one miss (Drillbit Taylor, Year One, Kicking & Screaming). He also wrote You Don't Mess With The Zohan. Just feel like I need to point that out.

Now I cannot wait for Funny People (if only for Eric Bana) and I highly expect it to become one of my favorites, but so far my favorite Apatow film has been Walk Hard. This article over at the AV Club pretty much summarizes why this film is amazing, but while you're watching the film, you can tell how much love Judd had for these characters when he was writing this. Jake Kasdan, who's had an unfortunate career working in his father's shadow, does an amazing job showcasing the different musical styles Dewey Cox goes through, and manages to make it feel like a true biopic. It takes shots at the drama and ridiculous gravity of other films like Ray and Walk The Line, but it's all in good fun. The supporting cast adds a lot of depth to the film (Jenna Fischer, Chris Parnell, the woefully underused Tim Meadows), but showstealer is John C. Reilly. Dude can act, and sing, and bring the funny, all at the same time, especially when he tells a monkey to go fuck himself. The following clips (and the monkey thing) may not paint the best picture of what this film is as a whole, but I do know that they make me laugh everytime.







No comments: