Monday, March 31, 2008

Smart Decisions (It's A Pun, You'll Get It If You Keep Reading)

For various reasons (the main one being the ridiculous price of gas), we will be turning in the family car aka my car soon (ML350) for a new one (C300) that would get better mileage but still be functional. This makes me sad. I may have started off hating the ML, but I grew to love it, mainly because it always proved useful to transport all the random shit we buy for the restaurant and home, and also because it allowed me to go very very fast.

Now I know I sound spoiled, I'll be the first one to say it, but I always acknowledge the fact that I've been very lucky to have driven Mercedes all my life, and I think driving those cars as well as the various large bulky vans we've had balances out. I'm past the point of being made to feel bad about driving these cars, because as my mother puts it, "We've worked our asses off for these, so fuck everyone else." A short history of "my" cars:



So yes, I've been lucky, and I still am. This car will still allow me to drive like an asshole and transport things with ease. The thing is, within a month my mom will be turning in her car, and in place of that we will be getting....

A Smart Car. Which will become my car. We've been on the waiting list for 4 months, and it can take up to a year or so to get one. Now, these things are cool, we checked one out a week ago and it's pretty sweet inside. It's got everything you would find in a luxury vehicle (navigation, iPod support, Bluetooth, CD changer, leather seats) and is quite spacious. I'm very excited, but I'm also very worried, for 2 reasons. One is that it has an automatic manual transmission, which means that it will automatically change gears, but it requires a little footwork (press and release) to do so smoothly. This is seriously going to affect my ability to drive fast/like an asshole.

The other concern is that an SUV will hit me and I will be crushed to death like a Snicker's bar in a fat kid's pocket. Still, very excited.

No comments: