Sunday, March 30, 2008

So I've Taken Up Smoking...

I started smoking 3 days ago in an effort to get my dad to stop. He's been promising to stop for about 6 years and we've tried every method to break the habit (except hypnotism, that's just fucking stupid). His health is at a point now where if he doesn't stop, there will be serious repercussions. I understand that it's a stress reliever as much as it's a bad habit, so we try to get him to explore other relaxation options (he's really enjoying feeding the koi at Fashion Island, so that's a positive). His memory hasn't been so great lately, so hopefully he remembers that I have crippling asthma and will make a serious effort to stop smoking himself.

I've also noticed the treatment I now receive as a smoker (albeit 3 days old). I haven't really mastered the art of covering the smell of cigarrettes yet, and in the restaurant people have been acting a little distanced towards me, especially the regulars. I did, however, make new friends with people in the center who hang out in the back to smoke. It's like immediate acceptance whenever you ask for or offer a light, no matter how many people you've killed. They do think I'm kind of an asshole now after they asked for the reason I took up smoking, which apparently offended some of them. So I've managed to get myself shunned from both smokers and non-smokers, which just proves again how good I am at alienation (like REALLY good). Everyone has pointed out that I'm probably going to get addicted myself, but that won't happen to me, I know that.

On another note, Marlboro really is flavor country...

No comments: